Monday, November 2, 2009

God Bless the Rains In Africa

October 24, 2009
It’s raining and I’m so glad. This whole day was ridiculously humid, despite the fact rainy season is close to an end and we don’t get much rain up here. But not quite over, as tonight indicates.
Rain has never been so comforting to me as it is here in Africa. Rain has always created the lazy, ‘lets get under some covers and watch movies all day’ feeling. (To me that also sounds like a snowy day, when everything has shut down or I ditch my responsibilities for the day to avoid the snow.) Rain- I used to dread it because work doesn’t shut down and I have to go out in it and be wet in my clothes (I hate being wet in my clothes) and drowsy and lazy and outside its hazy but still productive despite the fact that the weather sucks.
I could like the weather here because things do stop or slow down tremendously. Everyone goes inside and I get unguilty alone time. A breeze (or rough wind) starts up right before it starts to rain and it gets cool. After, the cool remains for a while making up for all the mud everywhere and the already non-existing roads fading even more into the muddy (-er) landscape
Maybe I like the rain because… it’s familiar; the same all over the world. It’s just falling water
… And the thunder here rolls and rolls sometimes for 15-20seconds… I don’t know maybe even more. It rolls long enough for me to be lost in the sound for a bit and then smile at that fact once the thunder has finally stopped.
And the thick clouds give plenty of warning that the rain is coming followed by the wind or soft breeze. And I can usually see lightening in the distance.
I do like the rain. Despite the fact that I have a mud roof (lined with plastic), I like the falling water a lot. Maybe I only like the rains in Africa.


Wow, I’m in Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment